CadSoft EAGLE is proprietary EDA (electronic design automation) software for editing circuit schematics, PCB layouts and component libraries. It is available for Windows, Linux and OS X. EAGLE is quirky and unintuitive, but very widely supported and stable.
The Light edition can be used for free, for non-profit or evaluation. This is limited to boards of 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches), only top and bottom signal layers, and the schematic editor can only create one sheet. It can however Load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits.
For a single user doing non-commercial editing of e.g. the most commonly used Eurocard size, would require the Hobbyist edition, which costs €140. This allows boards of 100 x 160 mm (4 x 6.4 inches), up to 99 sheets and up to 6 signal layers. For commercial use, with the same limitations the Standard edition costs €690.
With almost identical user interfaces EAGLE provides a schematic editor, a layout editor, and library editor.
EAGLE exports Gerber files.
In 2009 CadSoft Computer GmbH, developer of EAGLE was aqquired by Premier Farnell. Since version 5.11 EAGLE connects to the components database from Premier Farnell (also known as Farnell, Newark, element14), allowing immediate access to component information from within the design environment.
All version control systems (VCS), such as Git can handle text and binary files but binary ones cannot be merged. As of version 6 Eagle data structures use text based XML, this makes version control much easier. Eagle has a layer for comments and notes and for each layer if required.
|This article is a stub. You can help the Synth DIY Wiki by expanding it.|
- ^ a b EAGLE PCB Software
- ^ a b What’s New in Eagle V6 PCB Design Software? Prepare for More Third-Party Tools, Natasha Baker, Electronic Design, 14 Mar 2012.
- ^ What is the best free PCB layout and Schematic software?
- ^ All the ways KiCad annoys me, Head-Fi.org forums, Feb. 2015
- ^ Free EAGLE
- ^ Premier Farnell buys design software firm CadSoft, Electronics Weekly, September 2009.
- ^ Accelerate your Design with DesignLink
- ^ Version control systems for hardware projects?
- ^ PCB version control and notes, EEVblog forum, May 2015
- Build Your Own Printed Circuit Board by Al Williams, Tab, 2003, ISBN 9780071427838
- PCB Design Eagle CadSoft user group
- FreeRouting, Eagle compatible free push & shove router
- Eagle Tutorials
- Cadsoft Eagle 4.0 Editor Tutorial by Kevin Bolding
- CadSoft EAGLE homepage
- the EAGLE Forum
- CadSoft Tutorials
- EAGLE New User Cheat Sheet
- User created component libraries
- Eagle is horrible software, EEVblog forum, Mar. 2014
- Eagle is beautiful software, EEVblog forum, Mar. 2015
Eagle format SDIY files
Some useful examples, not a comprehensive list.
- Befaco - a few at github.com/Befaco otherwise at befaco.org
- HackMe - at hackmeopen.com and github.com/hackmeopen
- Monome - at github.com/tehn/
- Music Thing Modular - at musicthing.co.uk and github.com/TomWhitwell
- Mutable Instruments - at github.com/pichenettes
- Rebel Technology - at github.com/pingdynasty