There have been many articles related to Synth DIY and other Electro-Music projects over the years, even today. But the pre-eminent period for this kind of project was in the 1970's when electronic hobbyist magazines such as Practical Electronics (PE), Wireless World, Electronics Today International (ETI) and Elektor were at the forefront, publishing designs for the synth builder. There were even synth designs in Early Hi-Fi for Pleasure magazines. In the 80's projects became more computer based, but even here many MIDI and controller designs became available to Synth DIYers, often the output of Synth DIYers themselves.
- Electronics & Music Maker (E&MM)
- Electronics – The Maplin Magazine
- Electronics Monthly
- Electronics Today International (ETI)
- Everyday Electronics (EE)
- Hobby Electronics (HE)
- Home & Studio Recording (H&SR)
- Modulus newsletter
- Practical Electronics (PE)
- Practical Wireless (PW)
- Radio & Electronics World
- Sound On Sound (SOS)
- Wireless World
- Electronics Now
- Electronics - "Non-Reactive Filter Converts Triangle Waves to Sines" article refered to by Thomas Henry in his explanation of the VCO-1 project
- Nuts & Volts
- Polyphony - became Electronic Musician
- Popular Electronics
- Radio Electronics magazine
- Waveform, a free quarterly magazine.
- Elektor was available in many other countries with local names, such as in Germany France and Italy
- ETI actually started in Australia before the UK version was printed.
- Sperimentare, Italy
Anything maybe worth reading to learn about SDIY goes here. If a link is dead, you might find the site preserved on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine.
- mu:zines searchable archive of old, out-of-print music production magazines.
- Nuts & Volts magazine downloads
- Eight issues of Modulus
- Scans of Synapse Magazine, Monoskop Log
- Electronic Music Review, edited by Reynold Weidenaar and Robert Moog,
- Magazine, some here, search by directory.
- World Radio History An archive of many magazines, including Audio, Radio and Electronics magazines. An excellent resource including many magazine scans.
- Introni - Archive of Italian Electronic Magazines, Matrixsynth, 19 July 2017
- Build a synth, HackSpace magazine, issue 14, January 2019, p34