MU DIY parts
This information is for doing DIY, repaneling, and/or repairs on MU systems. It's not comprehensive, everyone has preferences, but lists the common/major/most-wanted parts in the MU format, and/or what sort of things will work.
- 1 Front panels
- 2 Panel parts
- 3 Internal connectors
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The panels are made using 1.5mm (0.062") aluminium, which is thinner than that used for MOTM front panels. They're strengthened by the sides being bent over to form flanges. To mount them into the rack, the face of the panel is extended at the top and bottom by 0.4".
Blank panels can be purchased from:
Panels for specific projects (CGS, YuSynth, etc.) can be purchased from:
Custom panels can be manufactured by:
For FPE and Schaeffer, you need to supply the blank MU panel.
Avoid cheap parts, especially if mechanical. Invest in quality, you always get what you pay for. Otherwise your entire system might later develop intermittent faults.
For pointer knobs, Dotcom use 1 1/" Moog-style/Cosmo Corporation skirted pointer knobs, available at:
Synthesizers.com use Alpha single-gang 24 mm pots, available at:
- Mouser 100K linear 31VA501-F and 100K log 31VJ501-F
- Small Bear Electronics
- Synthesizers.com 100K, 1M
..., available at:
- Synthesizers.com DPDT, SPDT
..., available at:
Dotcom modules use enclosed mono Switchcraft-style jacks, available at:
Switched 1/" jacks are especially handy for normalising jack connections.
... Panel components sold by Synthesizers.com come with 6" wires and MTA connector.
Synthesizers.com and some independent manufacturers mount the PCB parallel to the panel with standoffs, others mount PCBs perpendicular MOTM-style. 4-40 steel mounting brackets are fine for this and also work with CGS boards.
PCBs can be mounted parallel using 1" (Mouser: 534-8405) and 1 1/" (Mouser: 534-8407) threaded standoff posts. Black oxide screws, like the ones used by Synthesizers.com, are used to affix the standoffs to the front panel. Specifically, 4-40 steel 3/" black oxide phillips pan head screws, are available from Aaron's Machine Screws.
For perpendicular mounting with stooge brackets affixed by the pots or jacks, available at:
Threaded right-angle brackets (Mouser: 534-621) can be mounted to the panel, using the 4-40 steel 3/" black oxide phillips pan head screws.
Do not mix dissimilar metal terminals and headers. The contact resistance will go up with dissimilar metals, causing all sorts of problems.
Dotcom uses MTA-100 connectors, using 24 awg wire. To fit the wires to the connectors, use the AMP MTA key style maintenance tool: AMP 59803-1 (DigiKey: A9982-ND).
|2||key – pin missing and plugged|
- Female cable mount: AMP 6404416 (Mouser: 571-3-640441-6)
- Male PCB mount: AMP 6404566 (Mouser: 571-6404566)
2-pin MTA-100 connectors are used to connect jacks, push-buttons, and LEDs.
- Female cable mount: AMP 6404412 (Mouser: 571-3-640441-2)
- Male PCB mount: AMP 6404562 (Mouser: 571-6404562)
3-pin MTA-100 connectors are used for switches and pots.
CCW means the low (Counter Clockwise) terminal and CW the high terminal.
- Female cable mount: AMP 6404413 (Mouser: 571-3-640441-3)
- Male PCB mount: AMP 6404563 (Mouser: 571-6404563)
- ^ Technical Information, Synthesizers.com
- ^ Muff Wiggler forum:On cheap parts...
- ^ a b Guitar Fool:Hardware
- ^ Molex Connectors Explained, as used in Pinball.
- ^ http://www.synthesizers.com/technical.html#internaldc Internal DC Module Power – 6 pin MTA]
- ^ Muff's Modules & More:Power distribution – updated
- ^ www.synthesizers.com:Internal Pot/Switch – 3 pin MTA
- The 5U DIY Resource Wiki, Muff Wiggler forum