GitHub hosts distributed version controlled code repositories (repos) and static websites. It can be used for any type of file but only text and image files can be compared for differences. It hosts open source projects for free.
Since 2018 GitHub is a subsidiary of Microsoft.
First time creating a repository
- If you don't have one already, create a GitHub account.
- On Windows install Git for Windows
- Right click on an existing project folder to use as the repository, select
Git Bash Hereand enter Git commands in the terminal window.
- Generate a new SSH key and add it to the ssh-agent.
- Add the SSH key to your GitHub account.
- Add the existing project to GitHub.
Cloning a project from a repository
- Entering commands in a Git Bash shell window.
- e.g. for the 4ms Company KiCad libraries,
git clone https://github.com/4ms/4ms-kicad-lib
- To update at a later date do