Education and how MFOS got started
First employed at a steel mill he bought sold and traded analog synthesizers, mainly Korgs, Mini-Moogs, and a variety of the patchable semi-modular Rolands. There he also went through an electronic repairman apprenticeship program. Supplementing the classroom training with breadboard experimentation, a Heathkit microprocessor trainer kit, and a great deal of reading and maths. Learning enough to spend the next fifteen years in the medical electronics industry.
Together with a friend in the 1970s through into the early 1980s he sold electronics kits under the name Waveform Processing, advertised in Radio Electronics magazine. While keeping on researching, breadboarding and developing monophonic and polyphonic synths. Coming across the versatile Curtis Electromusic Specialties ICs designed by Doug Curtis.
Developing and publishing a simple, battery-powered mini-synthesizer, called the Sound Lab Mini-Synth for which he started selling PCBs, led in 2008 to the birth of his brand Music From Outer Space (MFOS). The information available on the MFOS website is respected by synth-DIYers the world over.
On the 21st July 2016 Ray died of cancer. His family will likely have medical bills and a GoFundMe page was setup to raise funds.
Not open source
Ray was happy to share his circuit designs and knowledge with hobbyists but did not give permission to mass or hand produce what he considered his intellectual property. MFOS designs are now owned by synthCube.
Incomplete list of writings on electronic music
- Make: Analog Synthesizers, Maker Media, 2013, ISBN 1449345220
Papers and articles
|Article name||Publication||Issue||PPNo||Key components||Corrections||Comments||On Web|
|The Sound Lab Mini-Synth Sound Synthesizer||Nuts & Volts||March 2006||44||CD40106, op-amps||Archive.org, Parts and PCB art|
- Ray Wilson, YouTube
- ^ a b c d e Make: Analog Synthesizers by Ray Wilson, Maker Media Inc, 2013, ISBN 1-4493-4522-0
- ^ a b RIP Ray Wilson, Matrixsynth, 23 July 2016
- ^ Music From Outer Space LLC, LinkedIn
- ^ "Making $Money$ With MFOS". Archived from the original on 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- MFOS: Imagine, Invent, Stay Ingenious!
- Web page to raise funds for Ray Wilson's medical expenses, or just pay directly via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ray Wilson channel on YouTube
- Raymond Wilson on LinkedIn