Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers edited by James J. Clark
2003, Online at nordmodularbook
Analog Days: The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer by Trevor Pinch
Harvard University Press, 2004, ISBN 0-674-01617-3, 384 pages
Analog Electronic Music Techniques in Tape, Electronic and Voltage-Controlled Synthesizer Studios by Joel Naumann and James D. Wagoner
1985, ISBN 0-02-873140-9
Analog Synthesis: The Newbie Guide by Reinhard Schmitz
Music Sales Ltd, 1999, ISBN 3-927954-37-3, 85 pages
Die Klangwelt des Musiksynthesizers – Die Einfuehrung in die Funktions – und Wirkungsweise eines Modulsynthesizers'' by Dr. Bernd Enders
Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, Controls by Allen Strange
288 pages, McGraw-Hill Inc., 2nd revised edition, 1982, ISBN 0-697-03602-2
The 2nd edition has much more information than the 1st.
Illustrated Compendium of Musical Technology by Tristam Cary
Keyfax Omnibus by Julian Colbeck
MixBooks, 1996, ISBN 0-918371-08-2
Fairly comprehensive compendium of reviews of synths, samplers, organs and key controllers, from the Farfisa Compact circa mid-sixties, to the mid-nineties. Easy and fun to read, and a great reference. Nearly every entry has a B&W photo. Also look out for earlier editions from the eighties, where more obscure stuff is included.
Learning music with synthesizers by David Friend, Alan R. Pearlman and Thomas Piggot
Midi For Musicians by Craig Anderton
AMSCO Pubs, 1986, ISBN 0-8256-1050-8
Music, Physics and Engineering by Harry F. Olson
Dover Publications Inc, 2003, ISBN 0486217698, 480 pages
New Complete Synthesizer by David Crombie
Omnibus Press, 1986, ISBN 0711907013, 112 pages
Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming by Jim Aikin
2004, ISBN 0-87930-773-0
Refining Sound – A Practical Guide to Synthesis and Synthesizers by Brian K. Shepard
Oxford University Press, 2013, ISBN 0-19-992296-9
Synthesizer Basics edited by Brent Hurtig
GPI Publications (Hal Leonard Pubs), 1984, ISBN 0-88188-714-5
Brilliant collection of articles that first appeared in Keyboard Magazine, most of them are by Robert Moog from the late 70s giving lucid explanations on topics such as Loudness and Attack Shaping, Principles Of Voltage Control, Phasers etc.
The A-Z of Analogue Synthesisers Part One: A-M by Peter Forrest
Susurreal Publishing, 1998, ISBN 0-9524377-2-4
The ultimate analog synth reference book part one.
The A-Z of Analogue Synthesisers Part Two: N-Z by Peter Forrest
Susurreal Publishing, 2003, ISBN 0-9524377-3-2
The ultimate analog synth reference book part two.
The Art of Electronic Music by Tom Darter and Greg Armbruster
1983/1985, ISBN 0-688-03106-4
The Complete Guide to Synthesizers by Devarahi
The Development and Practice of Electronic Music by Jon Appleton and Ronald C. Perera
Prentice Hall, 1975, ISBN 0-13-207605-5, 208 pages
Especially chapter 4 by Joel Chadabe on The Voltage Controlled Synthesizer. In some ways similar to the Strange book, although not as extensive.
The Prophet from Silicon Valley: The Complete Story of Sequential Circuits by David Abernethy
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015, ISBN 1-5121-9832-3, 274 pages
The Synthesizer by Roland Corporation
2nd edition, Roland Corporation, 1979, ASIN B001E88X88, 4 volumes, paperback
The Technique of Electronic Music by Thomas Wells
Vintage Synthesizers by Mark Vail
Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Synthesizer Programming, Sound Analysis, and Universal Patch Book by Fred Welsh
3rd edition, 2006, ASIN B000ERHA4S, 128 pages
- Synth DIY books for books about SDIY electronics and closely related topics.
- Electronics books for books about electronics.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Muff Wiggler wiki:Bibliography and Reading Materials ( ).
Anything in-depth worth reading and longer than a page or two.
Sound and synthesizer theory
- Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers, Clavia Nord Modular manual however it applies to all synths.
- An Introduction to the Serge Modular Music System by Rich Gold, with Darrel Johansen and Marina LaPalma, also relates to synths in general
- ARP 2600 Owners Manual, also relates to synths in general
- Buchla music easel manual, also relates to synths in general
- Digisound Step by Step Guide to Synthesis
- Fundamentals of Music Technology: Subtractive Synthesis with audio samples
- Nord Modular G2 Workshops and tutorials, also relates to synths in general
- Sound On Sound magazine's Synth School
- Sound On Sound magazine's Synth Secrets, also at github/micjamking/synth-secrets
Lists of books on other sites
- Books worth reading at Synthesizers.com
- Detachment 3 Laboratories, The Master Synthesizer Book List r1.1
- Doepfer Musikelektronik A-100 Further Reading
- Fred Wilder's Reading List
- PatchPierre BookTips
- Magnus Synth Book Page
- Music From Outer Space:Suggested Reading
- Synth Books at MATRIXSYNTH
- Synth Books at www.snap-dragon.com
- Synth/MIDI/Analog/Acoustic Bibliography by Mark Frazer Bower
- The Synthesizer Network Literature, CD´s and Videos page, from 2011
- Music Thing Modular Reading List