The A-Z of Analogue Synthesisers Part One: A-M by Peter Forrest
Susurreal Publishing, 1998, ISBN 0-9524377-2-4
The ultimate analog synth catalogue part one.
The A-Z of Analogue Synthesisers Part Two: N-Z by Peter Forrest
Susurreal Publishing, 2003, ISBN 0-9524377-3-2
The ultimate analog synth catalogue part two.
Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers edited by James J. Clark
2003. Online at nordmodularbook
Analog Days: The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer by Trevor Pinch
Harvard University Press, 2004, ISBN 0-674-01617-3, 384 pages
Analog Electronic Music Techniques in Tape, Electronic and Voltage-Controlled Synthesizer Studios by Joel Naumann and James D. Wagoner
1985, ISBN 0-02-873140-9
Analog Synthesis: The Newbie Guide by Reinhard Schmitz
An Individual Note of Music, Sound and Electronics by Daphne Oram
The Art of Electronic Music by Tom Darter and Greg Armbruster
1983/1985, ISBN 0-688-03106-4
A synthesist's guide to acoustic instruments by Howard Massey
224 pages, Amsco, 1987, ISBN 071191124X
The Complete Guide to Synthesizers by Devarahi
The Development and Practice of Electronic Music by Jon Appleton and Ronald C. Perera
Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, Controls by Allen Strange
Illustrated Compendium of Musical Technology by Tristam Cary
Keyfax Omnibus by Julian Colbeck
MixBooks, 1996, ISBN 0-918371-08-2
Fairly comprehensive compendium of reviews of synths, samplers, organs and key controllers, from the Farfisa Compact circa mid-sixties, to the mid-nineties. Easy and fun to read, and a great reference. Nearly every entry has a B&W photo. Also look out for earlier editions from the eighties, where more obscure stuff is included.
Die Klangwelt des Musiksynthesizers – Die Einfuehrung in die Funktions – und Wirkungsweise eines Modulsynthesizers'' by Dr. Bernd Enders
Learning music with synthesizers by David Friend, Alan R. Pearlman and Thomas Piggot
Midi For Musicians by Craig Anderton
Music and the synthesizer by Bruce Graham
Argus Books, 1980, ISBN 085242695X, 142 pages
Music, Physics and Engineering by Harry F. Olson
Dover Publications Inc, 2003, ISBN 0486217698, 480 pages
Notes on Modular Synthesis by Peter Elsea
"A solid primer with many of the fundamental synthesis building blocks. It is module-agnostic, and evergreen stuff that will apply toward really any approach to synthesis."
The New Complete Synthesizer by David Crombie
Patch & Tweak - Exploring Modular Synthesis by Kim Bjørn, Chris Meyer
Bjooks Media, 2018, ISBN 9788799999514
A beautiful coffee table book, useful if you're starting out in modular synthesis but not not much depth for the experienced user. It describes the building blocks for particular functions and includes interviews with well known modular builders and artists, as well as some patches to try out.
Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming by Jim Aikin
2004, ISBN 0-87930-773-0
The Prophet from Silicon Valley: The Complete Story of Sequential Circuits by David Abernethy
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015, ISBN 1-5121-9832-3, 274 pages
Push Turn Move - Interface Design in Electronic Music by Kim Bjorn
Bjooks Media, 2017, ISBN 9788799999507
Refining Sound – A Practical Guide to Synthesis and Synthesizers by Brian K. Shepard
Oxford University Press, 2013, ISBN 0-19-992296-9
Synthesizer Basics edited by Brent Hurtig
GPI Publications (Hal Leonard Pubs), 1984, ISBN 0-88188-714-5
Brilliant collection of articles that first appeared in Keyboard Magazine, most of them are by Robert Moog from the late 70s giving lucid explanations on topics such as Loudness and Attack Shaping, Principles Of Voltage Control, Phasers etc.
The Synthesizer by Roland Corporation
2nd edition, Roland Corporation, 1979, ASIN B001E88X88, 4 volumes, paperback
Electronic Music, Multichannel Recording and Practical Synthesis books
Synthesizer: So funktioniert elektronische Klangerzeugung by Florian Anwander
PPV Medien GmbH, 2019, ISBN 3941531700
The Technique of Electronic Music by Thomas Wells
Vintage Synthesizers by Mark Vail
Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Synthesizer Programming, Sound Analysis, and Universal Patch Book by Fred Welsh
3rd edition, 2006, ASIN B000ERHA4S, 128 pages
Great for bread and butter type stuff. Definitely more Moog based patches as opposed to Buchla/Serge etc. Has things like strings, bass, bells, leads, pianos etc.
- Synth DIY books for books about SDIY electronics and closely related topics.
- Electronics books for books about electronics.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Mod Wiggler Wiki:Bibliography and Reading Materials ( ).
- ^ a b c Mod Wiggler forum: Newb looking for 'Patching for dummies' kind of thing
- ^ a b c d The Synth-diy Archive, SDIY Wiki – books, April 2013
- ^ Beginner friendly video about basic utilities: mixing/attenuating/inverting/offset - with patchtips!, Mod Wiggler forum, September 2020
- ^ The ABCs of Synthesizers by Steven Powell, Music Educators Journal, Vol. 74, No. 4, pp. 27-31, Sage Publications, Inc. Dec. 1987
- ^ Patch and Tweak book?, Mod Wiggler Forum, October 2020
Anything in-depth worth reading and longer than a page or two.
Sound and synthesizer theory
- Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers, Clavia Nord Modular manual however it applies to all synths.
- An Introduction to the Serge Modular Music System by Rich Gold, with Darrel Johansen and Marina LaPalma, also relates to synths in general
- ARP 2600 Owners Manual, also relates to synths in general
- Buchla music easel manual, also relates to synths in general
- Digisound Step by Step Guide to Synthesis
- Fundamentals of Music Technology: Subtractive Synthesis with audio samples
- Nord Modular G2 Workshops and tutorials, also relates to synths in general
- Sound On Sound magazine's Synth School
- Sound On Sound magazine's Synth Secrets, also at github/micjamking/synth-secrets
Lists of books on other sites
- Books worth reading at Synthesizers.com
- Detachment 3 Laboratories, The Master Synthesizer Book List r1.1
- Doepfer Musikelektronik A-100 Further Reading
- Fred Wilder's Reading List
- PatchPierre BookTips
- Magnus Synth Book Page
- Music From Outer Space:Suggested Reading
- Synth Books at MATRIXSYNTH
- Synth Books at www.snap-dragon.com
- Synth/MIDI/Analog/Acoustic Bibliography by Mark Frazer Bower
- The Synthesizer Network Literature, CD´s and Videos page, from 2011
- Music Thing Modular Reading List