Cautioncontact resistance will go up with dissimilar metals, causing all sorts of problems.
Front panelsynthesizer patches are the 1/4" (exactly 6.35mm) and the 3.5 mm (approx 1/8 inch) mono phone connectors – also known as TS connectors (for tip sleeve), the 4 mm banana and the 0.141 inch (3.58 mm) Tini-Jax, these are all monophonic. The reliable and solid feeling 4.40 mm Bantam or TT (tiny telephone) jacks, widely used in professional audio, are an option offered by Wiard and Hinton Instruments.
Banana plugs vs. other plugs[note 1]
With banana jacks you can patch live without the noises caused by patch cables momentarily connecting to ground.
On Buchla synthesizers the audio and contol paths and control are kept separate. The control path uses EF Johnson banana jacks and swings between +/-15V, while the audio path is at 1.228V RMS, (+4dBu professional line level) and uses 0.141" Tini-Jax.
Regular jacks provide an extra switched connection enabling normalization (connections when there is no cable plugged in).
MIDI cables terminate in a five pin 180° DIN connector. Standard applications use only three of the five conductors: a ground wire, and a balanced pair of conductors that carry a +5 Volt signal. Some proprietary applications, such as phantom-powered footswitch controllers, use the spare pins for DC power. Opto-isolators keep MIDI devices electrically separated from their connectors, which prevents ground loops from occurring.
External DC connector
The coaxial power connector is the miniature power connector used for attaching extra-low voltage devices such as consumer electronics to external power supplies. Also known as barrel connectors, concentric barrel connectors or tip connectors, these small cylindrical connectors come in a variety of sizes.
Internal DC power supply
For internal power distribution, a Eurorack case typically has a distribution board with 16 pin headers. With Doepfer these also includes +5 Volts, and Gate and CV which are used by a few modules to normalise these signals. The power cable is typically a length of ribbon cable with a female 16-pin IDC connector on one end and a 10-pin on the other. Incorrectly connecting one of these connectors can damage the module. The stripe on the ribbon cable indicates the -12V side of the connectors.
See also Eurorack
To distribute DC from the power supply to the modules MOTM and Oakley Sound Systems implement a star distribution with 4 way AMP MTA-156 headers or 4 way Molex KK connector 0.156" headers on a PCB. The CGS uses a power distribution bus.
Modcan and Cyndustries have the same type of connector as MOTM to distribute power to modules except they only use a 3 pin version which provides +/-15v only. Power is also distributed from the power supply via a bus board.
Synthesizers.com implements a DC star distribution via cable harness, connected to the power supply by a 4 pin .093 Molex connector while six pin keyed MTA-100 connectors on the harness connect to male headers on the modules, with +/-15V, +5V and a ground shared between these.
See also Comparison of 5U module brands
Loudest Warning aka CLee suggest a power bus with 0.100" (2.54mm) 4 pin through hole connector keyed headers (Digi-Key part WM4202-ND, Molex 22232041). The flying leads, soldered to the PCB connect to the bus via 4 pin 0.100" (2.54mm) connector housing (Digi-Key part WM2002-ND, Molex 0022013047) and crimped pins (Digi-Key part WM2756-ND, Molex 8650805).
Frac and Wiard 300 series use the same 4 way MTA-156 connectors as 5U MOTM.
- ^ Radio Production by Robert McLeish, Newnes, 2005, ISBN 0-240-51972-8
- ^ Reference Designations for Electrical and Electronics Parts and Equipment, ASME Y14.44-2008, ASME, Fairfield, 2008, Section 22.214.171.124
- ^ Molex Connectors Explained, as used in Pinball.
- ^ Bantam (TT) Jacks
- ^ "Bantam Jack Patching". Archived from the original on 2016-12-31. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- ^ a b Banana plugs vs. other plugs on Mod Wiggler forum
- ^ comment in Synth DIY, Facebook group.
- ^ Why Buchla?, Buchla tech blog, 4 Oct 2008
- ^ The Good Thing About Standards: So Many To Choose From, Buchla Tech blog, 7 October 2007
- ^ TC Electronic G Major by Dave Lockwood, Sound On Sound, December 2001.
- ^ Digital Theory by Allen Mornington-West, Sound Recording Practice, 4th edition, Edited by John Borwick, Oxford University Press, 1996.
- ^ "Eurorack Power Cables". Archived from the original on 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- ^ Dizzy User Manual and Builders Guide v3.2.0 by Tony Allgood
- ^ CGS, Power Bus Board
- ^ Power distribution – updated, Mod Wiggler forum, Sep 2008
- ^ Synthesizers.com, Power System Components, DC Power Harnesses
- ^ BOM 4U LW Format Boat
- Aaron Lanterman's Notes on making Buchla-compatible stuff
- Wikipedia:Phone connector (audio)
- Wikipedia:Banana connector
- Wikipedia:Coaxial power connector
- Synthesizer panels using bannana sockets
- Common plugs and connectors