The 2720/A included:
- Build instructions
- User's manual
- Parts for 6 audio patch cords
- Parts for 12 control voltage patch cords
The patch cables for the 2720 consisted of 3.5 mm jacks for audio pin jacks for the control voltages/triggers. Since the modules already share a common ground via the power supply the patch cables between modules only needs a single conductor. A common ground will need establishing when connecting tyo external equipment.
- 171-PA3191-1-E, 3.5 mm phone connector
- 530-105-0302-1, Red tip plug
- 602-1635-100-03, Red EPR hook up wire
Voltage controlled amplifier
Voltage controlled oscillator
Function (envelope) generator
The 2720-4 function generator accepts a trigger pulse from the controller and generates a 0 to 5v output waveform with independently adjustable attack and decay times. Attack is variable from .002 to 1 second and decay is variable from .005 to 1 second. Sustain level is maintained as long as there is an input trigger. The amplitude output is fixed or variable up to 5V.
Voltage controlled filters
The 2720-3B band pass filter center frequency range is from 350 to 1200 Hz, with resonance adjustable by a potentometer. The 2720-3L low pass filter has a roll off rate of 12 dB/octave adjustable by control voltages.
Control oscillator/noise source
The 2720-5 control oscillator is a combined control oscillator (LFO) and noise source. The range of the LFO is 1 to 25 Hz in three ranges and both fixed 5V peak to peak and variable amplitude outputs are available. The noise source is a reverse base-emitter junction.
The 2720-7 PSU provides at up to 100 mA (sufficient for up to twenty modules), + 18 Volts, + and - 9 Volts and a rail variable between + and - 5 Volts. The module also an isolated potentiometer and a patch panel allowing more than one module to be driven from the same control source or patching between audio and control lines.
The intial 2720-6 economical keyboard consisted of shirt buttons on music wire springs. The 2720-8 keyboard/case is a three octave Pratt-Read keyboard. Pressing any key generates a pulse trigger and a gate signal while the key is held down. There is a pitch control to raise or lower the keyboards range by an octave. A sample and hold circuit holds the control voltage for a minimum of thirty seconds after keys are released. The case measures 31 inches x 12 inches by 11 inches (78.7 cm x 30.5 cm x 27.9 cm), sufficent for fifteen single width modules.
The 2720/R expanded the system with:
Sine converter/pulse width modulator
The 2720-14 sine converter/PWM converts a triangle wave to a sine wave and a voltage controlled pulse wave with voltage controlled 5% to 50% variable duty cycle, both at the same frequency as the triangle input.
- ^ Vintage Synthesizers by Mark Vail, Miller Freeman, 1993, ISBN 0-87930-603-3
- ^ a b c Radio-Electronics, May 1973, pp. 38-41
- ^ Editorial, Polyphony 1/76
- ^ a b 2720 and 4700 series patch cords, MIDI Control via 9308 FatMan or the 9700 MIDI2CV8, and possibly the 9756 L2E.
- ^ a b c Radio-Electronics, Sep 1973, pp. 53-55
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k PAiA catalogue 1978, pp. 8-9
- ^ Radio-Electronics, Oct 1973, p. 88
- ^ Electronic Music Circuit Guidebook by Brice Ward, Tab Books, 1975, ISBN 0-8306-5743-6, p. 168
- ^ Radio-Electronics, Jun 1973, pp. 56-57,
- ^ Radio-Electronics, Jul 1973, pp. 46-47
- Electronic Music Circuit Guidebook by Brice Ward, Tab Books, 1975, ISBN 0-8306-5743-6 - includes PAiA 2700 circuits
- The A-Z of -Analogue Synthesisers Part Two: N-Z by Peter Forrest, Susurreal Publishing, 2003, ISBN 0-9524377-3-2, pp. 47-48
- Build a modular electronic synthesizer by John Simonton, Radio-Electronics, 1973, May, p. 38, Jun, p. 56, Jul, p. 46, Sep, p. 53, Oct, p. 62
- Using the PAiA 2720 Synthesizer, PAiA Talk, Sep 2009
- Building the 2720 series modular., PAiA Talk, Jul 2009
- PAiA 2720 synthesizer restoration by David Brown, Modular Synthesis, LLC
- PAiA 2720 synths and modules that have come up for sale, Synthfind
- weird modular lust (early paia!?!?), Mod Wiggler Forum, Nov 2011
- Paia 2700/4700 power supply and other questions, Mod Wiggler Forum, Aug 2015
- 1974 Paia Synthesizers demo record
- Paia 2700 system walk through
- Sounds of the Paia 2720 by Tinfoil Cat, Dec 2019
|This article is a stub. You can help the Synth DIY Wiki by expanding it.|